This situation in Israel/Gaza has me completely glued to the news. My first reaction is such anger and disgust with the initial reports of this abhorrent situation.
I can’t help but try to work out how I really feel about it all. I've been refreshing my history and trying to understand all the different sides and how it turned into this.
Trying to understand how these people can’t get along is like trying to understand the root of divorce.
It’s so complicated! Each has their side, their spin. Their justifications. And truly at the root of it all seems to be an unfixable demonization of the other side.
I’m 100 percent in support of Israel defending itself. There are 200 hostages that are still in the middle of this. The violence perpetrated by Hamas isn't helping the Palestinians gain a separate state. Its destabilizing and leads to more security, checkpoints, etc. The only way for a separate Palestinian state is a government that does not promote violence or deny Israel the right to exist.
Whatever happened 70-1400 years ago doesn't matter. We are where we are and we have to move forward in a direction that doesn't include genocide.
My mom had some Arab friends when I was a teen. They were from Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon. They explained the conflict from their perspective a few times when we asked. They were thoughtful. They were not bloodthirsty or violent at all.
Khaled was from a wealthy Egyptian family and was devastated when the Muslim Brotherhood was in control in Egypt for a short time. He cooked us Falafel and taught us about Ramadan. He was fun loving and interesting and we went to his soccer games and watched his dog.
And Raed is from a Christian family who lived in what is now Israel before their farms were seized after the state of Israel was established. After losing everything, Raed’s family went to Jordan, then Italy, and finally the US. He described the humiliation men felt at being strip searched in front of a long line of people at checkpoints.
Tariq was from Lebanon. He came for Thanksgiving and was just a happy smiley student at Utah State and made us traditional dishes. My mom helped us learn about how we have a lot of similar values to Muslims.
I babysat for a family who was Jewish and they were the sweetest, most thoughtful and intelligent family ever. Their daughters have grown to be advocates for all different oppressed groups.
Anyway, their perspectives were interesting to me. I think of all these people I knew firsthand, none of whom fit any of the stereotypes of either side. I wish human life was more valued. I feel that if the women were in charge, it would be. And I hope that we can root out Hamas, and then come to an agreement that includes a separate Palestinian state.