Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Miles heads to Brazil!




Miles's friends from home all in the MTC together!  Some other friends are already out serving.

Tomorrow morning Miles will be on his way to the airport and off to Brazil.  Its going to be a long plane ride followed by a four hour bus ride.  

I'm proud of this kid!  MTC was not easy for him.  Grateful that he was just in Provo for the MTC instead of Brazil.  I think it was good to be with friends and have us able to send packages, etc.  

Here are the letters he sent home:

Whats up everyone! just wanted to tell everyone how my first week went and the MTC is absolutely slammed right now.  It's really cool to see how many missionaries are going out its almost unbelievable to think just about everyone here is a missionary.  The first week was definitely an adjustment especially to the lines for food they can be anywhere from 20 minutes up to an hour which kinda blows but my district and companion are pretty cool. 

There is some spiritual giants in my district for sure. One little blessing I got this week is when my glasses broke the piece that holds the frame together came out and broke but luckily my mom who is the best just knew to but a tiny screw and screwdriver incase they broke something never would have thought of. I also got to pickup my friend and bring him to his room which was super cool here. 

It is funny making jokes with the new guys that come in.  My favorite is asking them if they brought their shower curtain and they get pretty nervous. Of course the MTC provides shower curtains but they don't know that.  my companion is from Florida and he is cool but a little shy I'm still working on him but I got him to laugh pretty hard yesterday and that was a goal I set at the beginning of this week. 

We also have 6 people in our room and that is a little crammed and everyone is getting up and going to the bathroom and getting water through out the night and I'm right next to the door so any time it opens the light just goes right onto my face which kinda blows and then on Wednesday night I couldn't sleep very well and was feeling kind of sick but I couldn't find the batteries for my thermometer so I just went to my classes but by 4 I was feeling pretty weird so I went to the doctor but they close at 4 and i got there 5 minutes too late so I had to walk pretty far to the BYU health center and I tested positive for covid and had a 102 fever which explained why I felt so weird.  My companion ended up being negative so i went to the front desk and got my new room where I have to spend the next 5 to 14 days and I know that sounds terrible but it's such a blessing because although I'm sick I get my own room and I get to sleep in and call people whenever and email and all of that I also get my own bathroom and they gave me a computer.  It's honestly the best because I feel like i can learn a lot faster on my own because I can go at my own pace which is really nice. 

And no more food lines because they bring it straight to me anyways I've seen so many blessings here its actually wild. I'm going to send some videos and pictures the video is the lunch line and the pictures are just with some friends and my buddy I got to pick up and then after the temple.

He had some fun too, and met lots of cool people.  Especially his friend "Jack" who actually has a hard to pronounce Chinese name but tells everyone to call him Jack.

I am going into my 5th week. Here at the MTC The last email I sent out I think was when I had just got into quarantine. Since then I've had some cool experiences. The day after I emailed you guys about Covid I ended up getting a roommate and when he knocked on the door I was pretty disappointed because having my own room was nice. But when I opened the door it was this Chinese elder who immediately handed me a bunch of cat stickers. He didn't speak much English but was super cool. That night my fever was pretty crazy and I wasn't able to to sleep great.  It was super cold and I was shivering a ton. I had also propped my head up with a bunch of books so my stuffy nose wouldn't be so bad. The next day I hear a knock and I assumed it would be lunch but it was actually a worker to bring me a whole bunch of blankets and pillows. It turns out my roommate had noticed the books as well as the shivering and ordered me extra pillows and blankets so I can sleep better. This was so cool I barely knew this guy and some how he took time out of his day to send a email to the front desk and help me out. He is so awesome. Since then not a ton has happened just alot of class and basketball and volleyball. Confrence was pretty cool how focused everyone was. I am finally leaving to the field next Thursday so I'm super excited for that. 

Jack is from China but moved to New York with his mom when his parents split up.  A few years ago he joined the church and at age 23, with no family support at all, decided to serve a mission.  He was called to Chinese speaking Arcadia, California, and he's learning English in the MTC.  Jack is giving up a lot to go on a mission and I think he made quite an impression on Miles.  We are going to definitely send Jack a nice package in Arcadia.

Miles put the cat sticker on the back of his badge and every time they saw each other after that it was very exciting.  Jack had some funny jokes.  He asked Miles if he had a girlfriend and when he said yes he asked, "How many?"  haha.  He wanted to do this heart picture with Miles.  




he accidentally flushed his retainer down the toilet so we got to hang out with him for the afternoon and take him to the ortho!  We sent him back in with about 60 nuggets from Chick Fil A for his roomies.


Miles with some friends from home!