Wednesday, April 01, 2026

Spring Plantings

I have done a fabulous job visiting garden centers and restraining myself from purchasing.

But today, I am looking ahead!  My Snuck Farm plugs will be ready to be picked up on Friday.  I'm excited.  

We will have A LOT of lisianthus.  Like at least 600.  Hoping to have them blooming earlier for the wedding!  I'm going to plant them all in full sun this year.  The ones with more shade did not do nearly as well.  They like it hot.

The tulips are looking good! They are all super early which is a little troubling.  Also still no sign of the 200(!) Cheerfulness Daffodils!  I will be very disappointed and confused if none of them come up.  Daffodils are considered very easy to grow.


Impatiently waiting for the other shadier side of my walkway to bloom so they will be symmetrical
But YAY for Deer Out and Liquid Fence!  Applied twice when the deer started munching the leaves on the emerging tulips.  But they haven't touched them since they were sprayed. 

Jared installed my retractable hose.  Gamechanger!  Now I need one for the front yard.

I have a shady north fence.  And I am very excited to have these anenome bare roots coming.  I wanted a BIG variety.  I like the pink color and think it will stand out against the white fence.  It will get 4 feet tall and bloom in August through the fall.  Last year my Honorine Jobert bloomed into December in my front yard!  This Queen Charlotte is a RHS award of Merit winner.


I'm hoping that my delphinium will also look really beautiful with that light blue.  And since the Delphinium like cooler temps, hopefully I'll have a rebloom with my anenome.  



Last week I listened to 3 audiobooks while cleaning up the yard and then when I finished I sat on my porch swing and was so happy that I planted this Daphne years ago.  This Daphne x Transatlantics "Eternal Fragrance" smells a lot like Jasmine and is so nice!  I love that it is evergreen and is super happy where it's planted, above my retaining rock wall where it has super good drainage.  Mine has hardly needed water and the soil is very rich but dry.  I put it here because I wanted a small shade tolerant shrub and I think the person at Cooks recommended it.  I'm so grateful they did!  

Daphnes are less common and most people are not familiar with them.  Another variegated variety is the Carol Mackie.  Sun River has that one in full sun and she gets pruned hard.  People always want to buy it but they are hard to get your hands on!

I didn't know what it was called for a few years.  It's one of my very favorite shrubs.  I think they are best placed near seating where you can enjoy the amazing scent!  They are usually 2-3 feet and can be short lived.  I'm a little afraid to prune mine!  But I love it.  According to RHS, they don't like pruning or being moved and sometimes die easily.  So I've just really left mine alone.





From Left top:  Eustacia Vye, Alnwick, Sceptered Isle, Teasing Georgia, Queen of Sweden
Bottom from Left: Gabriel Oak, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Evelyn, Princess Charlene de Monaco, Strawberry Hill.

When I first started planting my roses I didn't pay attention to their names.  I've finally figured out what varieties I have.  Some just had their tags buried!  One of them always gets tall and leggy during the season.  And finally it occurred to me that I planted a climber (duh).  So I need to support my Teasing Georgia (the creamy yellow one) with an obelisk this year.  

I bought an Olivia Austin and Generous Gardener climber that I'm going to grow on the side of my house that I will attach to the rock.  I got two bare root roses yesterday finally delivered from David Austin.

These roses are varieties I haven't had much luck finding in the stores.  So I just ordered them and hopefully they will successfully root.

Olivia Austin

Generous Gardener Climber

I also planted 5 iceberg roses last year.  3 are doing great!  2 not so much.  Hopefully they all survive.  


Also going to buy some thornless Joan J, Polka, and Canby raspberries!  I love my raspberries.  But the area they are in would be perfect for a gate to the front yard.  So we are going to try to get a new patch established and then eventually do something different there.