Thursday, April 09, 2026

Wedding Flowers

I'm very excited about Miles and Josie's July Wedding!  She has some beautiful flowers that she's been saving.  And I am hoping to grow some!  Look at her gorgeous inspiration photos:

I have these colors in my lisianthus, dahlias, feverfew, and Orlaya


This one also has the white cosmos and zinnias

So because flowers generally take a certain amount of days in the ground to bloom, we are going to need to start them earlier than usual.  

I generally plant my dahlias around Mother's Day, and the first blooms come at the end of July and they are plentiful in September.  I'm hoping for dahlias that are about a month early.  I start Cosmos and Zinnias from seed.  They are so easy to start from seed outdoors just doing direct sowing.  However, again I need them to be blooming a bit earlier. 

So I'm starting the Afternoon White cosmos, Precious Metals zinnias, and lots of peachy dahlias indoors and hoping they will have a head start.  

I plan to early plant my dahlias in mid April instead of May.  And I'm pre-sprouting them.  I have frost cloth and a low tunnel to help get the ground warmed up and in case of a frost.

This past weekend I started them inside on an old rack I had in my utility closet.

I got some lights at Costco awhile back.  And some heat mats.  I plan to get a new bigger rack that will accommodate more seed trays.  But for now my little laundry room grow operation is working out great!

So to start seeds inside, all you really need is some light seed starting soil and these trays from Amazon.  They have domes and are helpful.  But since I'm going to be planting quite a few and plan to do this for years to come, I invested in these trays from Neversink tools.  

Very excited about these "Precious Metals" zinnias from Floret.  Pretty colors!  
And I will save the seeds in the future.


Today--lots of tiny baby plants





Fingers Crossed!  We are taking out the big spruce and expanding everything this next week hopefully.  Lots of work to do!