Thursday, March 08, 2018
BYU Bound!
So excited for Elise! BYU has been a goal of hers since she was in Jr. High.
We were supposed to find out March 2. But BYU's site crashed and there was no word as of Mar 3 at 12:30 am when we finally went to sleep. Talk about suspense!
But finally we got the email at like 6am. And I printed the letter to put it under her door for her when she woke up. But I heard that she got up for something anyway so I handed her the letter. She looks at it without her contacts, squints to read the date and the first thing she says is "March 2nd bullcrap" In her little dry way that I love. She was a little salty after being kept in suspense the entire previous day.
But also, so excited! I knew she still wanted to consider her other options. Utah State is a great school and a lot of fun. Lots of kids in our area go there to have an away college experience since BYU is close. With the scholarship they offered her and the Regents scholarship that she should be getting, her tuition would be free. And that is nice.
The U of U offered her a scholarship as well and they have a new dorm and entrepreneurial programs that look incredible. (filing that info away for Miles someday!)
But in the end I think Jared may have swayed her a bit. He wants her close to home. A few weeks ago I brought the letter with the USU scholarship to his office and he looks at me and says, "Does she really have to go to college?" It was like it just sunk in for the first time that she was really moving out. And his heart was a little heavy.
We're glad she'll be somewhat close, and also BYU basketball and intermurals! I'm not sure she wants to play lacrosse. She would like to but is worried about being swamped with homework and studying. So we'll just have to see. She is planning on BYU for fall and then leaving on a mission. So that might be tricky I don't know how they look at that.
I went to campus the other day and I was practically tearing up. Thinking about all those times when she was a toddler and I would bring her with me to get stuff done for school. She would stop at every flower and want to sniff it. Lol. I hiked the Y in celebration and looked down on that campus and felt very good about my daughter going there. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Monet ends up there too and they would even be in the same grade when Elise gets home from her mission. So fun.
