Friday, November 10, 2017

Dating: Girls read this in a few years


This super blurry picture will always be my favorite from our dating.  
A month or so ago Elise's church leader was doing a lesson on dating I think and contacted each of the girls moms to ask them to share the qualities they looked for in a spouse.

So since I wrote it all up, I may as well blog it here too!  Here's the summary:  Testimony, attractive, happy, smart, healthy, ambitious, and funny, commitment.  All marriage pre-requisites.

I often think about college dating and what it was like.  I watched friends date people where it was kinda robotic.  Like they checked off requirements like it was a job application.  And there are probably lots of people that could "fill" those certain requirements.  But in the end the way you are together as a couple is what makes a guy the man of your dreams.  :)

What struck me most about Jared is how we felt together.  I'd never felt more comfortable with a guy.  It wasn't right off.  I was super awkward and reserved at times and especially when we were driving to California and he jumped in my car for an hour or so.  I didn't really know what to say.  But it just took a week and I felt like we'd known each other forever.  He was so charming and SO funny, so being around him was so fun.  He was so easy to talk to.  He wasn't formal at all.  But he was respectful.  I never felt like he was putting the moves on me.  I just felt loved and adored all the time.   I always felt like I was what he wanted.  He never made me feel less than or that I was lacking in anyway.  Funny is really important to me.  It really is nice to be with someone who has a sense of humor.  He had a sweetness about him.  He was kind of a softy.  I loved that.

Jared was super direct.  There were never any mind games or manipulation.  It was just, "I like you, you like me, lets have fun."  Very uncomplicated.  So refreshing.  We talked daily and he wanted to do something everyday.  Even if it was just washing the car.

He was confident and liked to show off a little bit.  But it wasn't arrogant.  He wanted to impress me though!  One day he showed me all his basketball scrapbooks and letters from colleges.  Probably because it was such a big part of his life before I met him.

Jared has always been ambitious.  He has a very proactive nature and is positive.  He sometimes is TOO positive.  That has gotten us into trouble before.  But I love that he wants to provide for us and felt motivated to make our dreams come true.  There has been a lot of sacrifice along the way to get to where we are.

Babies, dogs and elderly people everywhere seemed to love him.  It was very cute.  My Grandma Adair really loved him.  Maybe because she was friends with his grandma.  He is very good with people.  He is genuinely interested in them.  I'm always amazed at how much he remembers of all the people we meet.  He was really cute with his family and had a good temper.  My favorite picture of him from his mission is the one with this lady at a rest home where he did service.  It is seriously so cute!

He is generally a happy person.  We've both experienced anxiety, depression, and lots of stress in our 20 years of marriage.  That's just life and sometimes life is rough.  But I think we both default to pretty happy and satisfied.

He was really affectionate.   Its really easy to make him happy.  Hold his hand, give him a kiss.  Not hard to please.

He has a solid testimony.  He's not one to fake being spiritual or to be super overt about it.  He's not one to talk a lot about church.  But he's solid.  And his actions show the kind of person he is.

I felt like I'd won the lottery when he loved ME.  I still do.