We pulled out Grandma's old china, just like my Thanksgiving dinners from childhood. And I made sure all the kids knew the story behind these beautiful blue and white plates. I have always loved my grandma's china. We were so careful with these when I was little.
My grandpa emigrated from Germany when he was in his early twenties. His brother and mom stayed in Germany and during the war experienced a lot of shortages. So my grandma would send them packages of things like sugar, unsweetened chocolate, and a new suit for a job interview, etc. After the war ended, they sent her this Spode Blue Tower China one plate at a time. I remember getting those packages all the way from Germany. It was really exciting. They always had some German cookies. I'd like to buy some of those here so my kids can try them. When my grandma died, I inherited these plates. I love this China and I love the story. I love how these remind me of her and many other celebration meals with my family. I need to use it more often.
We enjoyed turkey, ham, rolls, cranberry sauce, creamed corn, raspberry pretzel jello, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted potatoes and gravy.
Yum.
I had to redo the jello TWICE. I am a first time Jello maker. It was pretty funny. And I'll have to keep some on hand for next year because the raspberry jello sells out before Thanksgiving. Who knew? It WAS very popular with the kids.
The kids had a blast playing Just Dance 4. Is there anything cuter than watching this game? It is so fun.
| The kids table! |
| Cutest Dimples ever! Jacob was really enamored by Soren and I think he liked being the older one |
| I love this face! I looked at him and smiled as he was yawning and he couldn't resist smiling back at me, so this is the expression I got! So funny. |
| Simone loves Brooklyn and Gavin! |
They also played this fun candy bar game that Diane's family does each year. Of course they loved that.
It was beautiful weather too and all of our kids love being together. It would have been perfect if we could have had the rest of the family there!
My pictures leave a lot to be desired. I should have one of the adults, but none of them worked out!