**Elise's letter from 12/4, I accidentally posted it here instead of her mission blog but I'll leave it because I like seeing her posts mixed into our family ones.**
I've started to only have dreams about missionary work and teaching lessons so I guess I'm officially a weird missionary. Unfortunately, my cooking has not developed in the same way and I lit our oven mit on fire this week and almost burned my little thumb off, but other than that this week was great!!
Treviso goes ALL OUT for christmas, and I'm happy to say that after two months we are no longer the only people in Treviso that have our christmas lights up. Sadly, that same excitement does not exist for Thanksgiving because it doesn't exist here, but we did get to eat Thanksgiving dinner at McDonald's with our friend Victor and honestly nothing is better than that. We taught him about the temple and after we cleared up the fact that we don't dunk dead bodies in the water to baptize them he was ready to catch a train to Rome right then. We tried to continue with the lesson but he kept cutting us off and saying, "yes that's very good but how do I get in to the temple?" It was pretty amazing to see.
This week I think I spent every minute of free time I had reading the scriptures, which is super nerdy but I'll embrace it. I read a quote by Joseph Smith that says, "The first principle of the gospel is to know for a certainty the character of God..." So that was the goal this week and will probably the goal for the rest of my life because holy cow I have a lot to learn. I think my two favorite verses are Alma 26:35 "my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name. 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation." and Moses 7:28 "it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept."
I love these verses because there's a huge contrast, he's all powerful and created everything but he also weeps for us. Knowing this makes the goal of knowing him seem a little smaller to me, its always going to be something I will work toward and try to strengthen but it is also shows that we really can have a personal relationship with him and I just love that a lot. Anyways love you all a ton!