Sunday, April 23, 2017

Simone's Exciting Story about being hit by a Car

My kids ride their bikes to school when the weather is nice.  We live only 1/3 of a mile from the school and they can usually ride their bikes there faster than we can drive them because of traffic.

Anyway, I also threaten my kids that I will take away their bike, scooter, longboard, etc. if they don't wear helmets.  Its so easy to wear a helmet. 

So last week, Simone set off and was going pretty fast down the little asphalt trail/sidewalk that leads to their school.  There is only one road to cross the whole way and they have a crossing guard.  So I wasn't worried.  

But there is a spot on the sidewalk that has some big bushes.  You can see in the photo below where she was hit.  She was coming down the little hill, and some people were pulling into their driveway and couldn't see Simone because of all the big bushes that are along that section of the sidewalk.

So after they hit her, she jumps up right away and asks, "Can I call my mom?"  they said they thought she was so tough that she jumped right up after being hit by a car.  They assure her that they will be calling her mom and they take her into their house to call and get her hands cleaned up.  She is pretty scraped and has some road rash and her wrist is swollen.  Then she says, "Do you have any essential oils?"  Lol.  I love that part.  She sure loves her oils.  They understood when Jared came and they saw his license plate.

When they called me to tell me she'd been hit, they were so calm, I knew she must be alright.  So then instead of relaying that information in a calm way to Jared, I yelled up the stairs without thinking, "Simone's been hit by a car!"  He was downstairs so fast and so frightened.  I had to hurry and explain that she was fine.  A little scraped up but just fine.

The people felt so bad and they were so nice.  Simone and I went to our Ortho doctor that has helped us in recent years with her broken arm.  I wanted them to x-ray her just in case her wrist had any issues.  It was swollen and hurt quite a bit.  But not as bad as when she broke her arm.  So I didn't think the ER was really necessary.

Our drive was a tiny bit emotional for her.  She had been so tough.  That is totally Simone.  She doesn't like people to see her cry.  When she broke her arm, her first instinct was to go in her room and lock us out!  Lol.  But during our drive she asked me about lacrosse.  She was crying thinking about not being able to play her favorite sport.  I said that I didn't think it was a bad break, but if it was broken, we'd sign her up for track and she'd have a great track season.  She cheered up a little at that thought.  But she was still shaken by what might have happened if she hadn't been wearing her helmet.  Her helmet was pretty scraped up!

The PA wasn't the one we've seen in the past, and he wasn't all that attentive.  But he said there could be a hairline fracture.  We sent the x-ray to Matt and he said it looked like a small incomplete fracture.  I thought it did too.  





When we were done she really wanted to go to school!  It was kind of exciting to get to tell everyone that she was hit by a car. That evening I was up at the hospital with my Dad, Diane and Angela.  And Simone was Facetiming me to tell me all about school.  She was chattering away and thought it was so hilarious that some of the boys didn't think she really got hit by a car.  She's such a cutie.

So my siblings and I were texting quite a bit throughout the dayIn the meantime, we heard the news that Dad was going into surgery.  It was an emotional day., and at one point I texted them to let them know that I was at the hospital with Simone because she'd been hit by a car.  But no one responded.  I thought that was kinda funny but figured our text thread was moving pretty fast, they probably just didn't have time to read each and every one.  But still, usually at least one of the five of us responds.  So then later as we are making plans to leave, I mention again that we are coming now that I just finished up at the hospital with Simone.  And everyone responds in the way my sisters usually do, wanting to know the story, is she okay, etc.  So that night we realized that my first text just never got delivered to any of them even though it showed on my phone as sent.  We all had a big laugh about that because it was pretty funny to read the texts on my phone.  Everyone just carrying on like nothing had happened.  I love my sisters!

The people who hit Simone brought her over a care package.  They brought a bear that she named "Mercedes" after the car that hit her.  Haha.  I laughed about that.  She was also really worried that she had dented their car.  I assured her that it was fine and they weren't worried about that.  

She still has a little anxiety about riding her bike to school.  But the area where it happened has been trimmed way back so I think the visibility for both is a lot better.  But for now she's going to walk.  

We are so glad Simone is okay!  Moral of the story kids: WEAR YOUR HELMET