Saturday, August 07, 2010

Adair Family Reunion: Camping at Tony Grove

Total Count: 19 kids, 16 adults. We had quite a fun weekend! I love to hang out with my family, and I love to camp. So for me, this was a near perfect couple of days. Usually with camping, I can't wait to get back home. This time I felt like I could have stayed another couple of days. Tony Grove is beautiful! It is just 20 minutes up Logan Canyon on the road to Bear Lake. There were tons of wildflowers, huge pine trees shading the campsites, a pretty little lake, and some really neat hikes nearby. (although we didn't hike. Why hike when we were having so much fun just sitting and visiting.) I love the adventure and change of pace.


We were lucky enough to have my WHOLE family there. My mom and Demetrios, Dad and Diane, Marge, and all of my siblings and their kids. We have siblings from Phoenix, Denver, Chicago and California. So that was really great to all be in the same place for a couple of days. The only ones missing were a couple of brother-in-laws from out-of-state that had to work.

My uncle Ron even brought up my grandma from Logan. She was so funny. She had all the men/husbands line up as she tried to guess who is who. We thought it was pretty funny that she was so good natured about everything. She gets really nervous about things. She was worried we were all going to leave her and she wasn't going to know anyone. Grandma, don't worry, we're not leaving you up in the canyon by yourself!

She is forgetting who her own kids are, but she picked Jared out right away. She's always liked Jared. When we were first married and I'd come sleepover at her house, I'd inevitably forget to call him upon arrival, and he'd always call about a half hour after I got there to make sure I made it. She'd get after me for making my husband worry. I guess he's pretty easy to pick out these days with his smooth head. My grandma and Jared's Grandma Rae (Nanny) were buds in Hemet, California. It was fun to learn of that connection when we called her to tell her we were engaged.


We spent the first day on Bear Lake wakeboarding and paddling around in the kayaks, boating and riding the waverunners around. We got to camp later than we wanted to with just an hour or so to set up before dark. As we were setting up tents, a thunderstorm hit and completely soaked me and everything that had been unpacked. We waited it out in the car. When I told the kids if it kept raining that we might have to head home, they were insistent that they were NOT going to leave. They love camping. I love it, but sometimes grumble about how much work it is to pack and unpack, etc. But when I see them running around with their cousins just loving every second of it, it makes all the mess and hassle completely worth it. It stopped raining, and it kinda made it more exciting.

Cute Charlie paddling around in the kayak on Bear Lake.


Courtney, the oldest of the cousins, was so sweet and helped the kids learn to make bracelets and paddled around in the kayak with the younger kids. Courtney is an AMAZING kid. She was the very top of her class this year in 9th grade. She is so good with the kids. Simone just idolizes her, as do all the other kids. It is so nice to have such a great example for them.

Miles may not have any brothers, but he's got tons of cousins--6 of them are even in his same grade--4 of those are boys. I remember the day I found out that Angela was pregnant and due about the same time as me. I was so excited! Then, Michelle, Kelli, and Tiffany were also pregnant and due within 6 weeks of us. I couldn't believe it! Angela, Michelle and I all had boys. We couldn't have planned it better if we tried. Then Michael and Katie are together now and we got little Gavin who is the same age, and Chase in California. It is so cute to watch these little guys running around together. We hardly hear a word from them they are so busy having fun. At Bear Lake, they built a sweet water city in the sand. They'll all be starting Kindergarten this fall.



Mom and Demetrios getting set to go boating.


Beautiful Brooklyn!



The kids had the time of their lives. They built a super cool fort. They found a pallet like wood thing, broke it up, dug out the nails and re-nailed it to a bunch of trees with rocks. Only later we figured out that that "pallet" like thingy was part of a fence that belongs to the bathroom. Ooops. Anyway, they decorated it, outfitted it with a homemade table, chairs, garbage, and even pinecone weapons. It was very creative and so fun for all of them. I remember how much I loved my forts like that when I was a kid.


Morgan and Elise


Max and Sam's Pinata to celebrate their birthday.


Aunt Marge, Rachel and Bekah



Isaac and Chris were cool enough to let me french braid their hair. We can't have camping without braiding! Michelle did Morgans in a spiral french braid. She taught me everything I know.


Jax and Bekah. And Bekah is expecting a girl in October. Simone said to me, "Mommy, I love Bekah's baby in her tummy." Maybe they've already met. Bekah is carrying the first Nugent girl, born into the family, in 70 years!We just had one baby there. Baby Jacob. Michael and Katie's little guy. He is so smiley and cute, I don't think he cried the entire time.
My little twin brothers, Sam and Max, that just got baptized today!
Jared LOVING his new hammock. I had to be pretty quiet to snap this one, he is a light sleeper.
We did manage to leave our seats long enough to walk around Tony Grove Lake. It was beautiful!
The "must smile--no you may not make a face" family picture.
The Real Us.
Grandpa Adair and Baby Jake. This kid just grins whenever you get the camera out.


On the drive home I glanced up at Monet's feet and just had to laugh. They were black. All the kids had to have a major scrub down back at home. They sure had fun though! It was sooo worth it.