Tuesday, September 02, 2008

What were YOU like in Junior High?

Because I just saw a pretty funny glimpse of myself the other day.

It all started when a few days ago Elise was sitting at the table writing up a list of names for her future children and asking me how I liked them. It was really cute to hear what she liked and why, and how many kids she planned (she originally wanted 12, but now she is down to 4 or 2) I suggested that she write all this stuff in her journal because it would be so fun to read when she gets older.

I told her that I filled up about ten journals in Elementary, Junior High and High School. I thought it would be so fun for her to read about some of my Junior High experiences. So I went down to the cold storage and retrieved my journal from ages 11-13. All I can say is WOW. I read about two pages (including one in which I rode in a stolen car with some 13 year old girls driving) and realized it will be years before they open any of those books. Back when I was writing, I used to dream of my kids wanting to read my journal and learning through my experiences. I realized that my journal is not for them, it is for ME. It is so that I can refresh my memory of how I used to be and not stress too much if my kids hate me or if they are as reckless, obstinate, moody and insecure as I was!

Fortunately, seventh grade was just a bad year. I shaped up pretty quick, but SHEESH.