Sunday, November 22, 2020

Updates

 Long time no post!

I'm out of the habit I guess!  I've also previously used this blog to process my feelings and although I'm not overly concerned with who reads this (mostly family) I also don't want to offend anyone with my recent musings.

But here is what has been happening:

1.  Sad about how our political leanings are misconstrued.  I know I already posted about this.  But it got worse.  People (family members even) posting memes with "If you vote for Trump, you're a racist."  blah blah blah.  It's actually more complex than that.  But it makes me sad that these are the conversations going on in the world right now.  I feel pretty sad that there is such an us vs them mentality.  The truth is, we all want the same thing.  We just see different ways to get us there.  But politics is all about winning and fighting apparently.  

2.  Went to Arches and Canyonlands with my friends and felt like why do I not run away like this more often?  It is the best feeling in the world.  I need to get out of my house more.

3.  Girls coming home for Sunday dinners and we just love that so much!  Jared said to me last week how much he is enjoying having them home for a few hours altogether!  We are lucky they are so close.

4.  Family photos!  I am excited to have them!  Our last ones are old now!  The younger ones especially look so different.

5.  We all got covid!  Elise first caught it from a friend at college and we had her come home because she has a high risk roommate.  Then the rest of us got it as in our eagerness to have her home (it was just a couple weeks after she came home from her mission), we were not making her stay in a separate area of the house.  It was more than a cold (for Jared and I) but less than the flu for sure as far as illnesses go.  Monet didn't get it until a couple weeks ago.  I'm not surprised this is being spread a lot by college kids living in high density housing and who have nearly no symptoms.  We were lucky we even caught it with Monet because she had nearly no symptoms but then lost her taste for an evening.  She tested positive a couple days later but felt great the entire time.  All our kids were really mild, and all lost taste and smell as the main symptom.

We are happy to have some antibodies and are feeling a little more freedom from worry about coronavirus stuff.  Probably 80% of our extended family has also had covid luckily it hasn't been worse than a flu for any, and super mild for the kids.  I'm kinda glad most of us have had it and are luckily all fine because now our grandparents and older family members who are at risk will have a little better protection.

I wish people who have had covid could get a mask exemption.  Because isn't protecting anyone once you've had it you are immune anyway and I miss seeing faces.  But I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable either.  

6.  Trying to make plans for holidays.  Its going to be a little different this year!  We are going to have some family come over though.

7.  Our house is quiet!   A lot!  It's odd.  Miles is working really hard in basketball and working out.  Simone has a big new friend group of cute athlete girls.  Soren plays a lot with the neighbor kids.  Jared and I are not very busy!  No sports to go to really changes our pace.

8.  Monet is heading to Hawaii for the next semester of school.  She had been thinking of going there anyway, but academically it didn't make sense. But now her classes are online and her friends found a house to fit them all for cheaper rent than Provo.  So it sounds like a fun plan.  These girls worked hard all summer and most of them are paying for all their college.  I'm impressed!  We will miss her, but it will be a good reason to visit!

9.  Elise just came home last weekend when she had an unexpectedly quiet couple of days and it was so nice!  We loved it.  She did a canyoneering trip with friends from high school yesterday.  It looked like so much fun.