I was thinking about this today! Its Mental Health week in doTERRA, and as I'm learning more about mental health, I thought it was a good time to reflect.
Perspective:
Hope! I've never felt more depressed than when I wasn't sure if God existed. I don't know how people get through hard things without faith. I love how challenges are framed when we have an eternal perspective. Life is about joy, but it is also about growth, compassion, etc. And all the hard things we go through give us greater wisdom, strength and love.
Progress:
I feel my best when I am energized by a new challenge or project. I love when I have something to work on. When my dad died, I spent the entire next few months doing little house projects. I created this little garden bed in my front yard and absolutely loved it. I envisioned him helping me.
I've been tired and a little bit stressed this week about Elise and the unknowns with her mission and the Coronavirus changes. So I've had to push through those feelings to be productive. So last Saturday Jared and I cleaned the fridge and pantry. I know it sounds dumb, but I got so much joy out of looking at my pantry all week. It just felt good to see it nice and organized. It is so worth it to start even when I don't feel like it.
One thing I have learned too is that if I need a day off, I need a day off. I don't feel that way very often. But usually when I feel really tired and that I just want to stay in bed, I end up getting sick shortly after if I ignore it. I've learned to pay attention and listen to my body.
Social:
Connecting with other women is super important to me. Working out is a good time to do that because I can multitask! I also go to lunch with a group of friends every month. These ladies are so funny and provide the best support and comic relief.
Outdoors:
Being outside while connecting and exercising is the very best kind of stress relief. I don't know how to explain it. When Jared and I were going through a difficult time financially, we took the kids up the canyon every chance we got. I felt like my stress just melted away when we got up into the mountains or our favorite little spot the Gardens at Thanksgiving Point. Elise had a friend who said he hadn't really been up the canyon, although he lives just 5 minutes away. We were all just so blown away by that. How can people not? They must not know how good it feels. I went sledding on Tuesday, and I laughed like a kid the whole way down. It felt so good.
Travel:
I pretty much always have something on the calendar. I like having a trip to look forward to! I love the adventure and the change. I love to plan too. It can be just a day trip even. But I think why I like travel is because I like change. And it gives you a little change of scenery and a break from regular life and habits.
Easy things:
1. Music--a good little Spotify playlist with happy songs helps my mood
2. Essential oils in the diffuser--I LOVE my diffuser blends. Spearmint and Orange is a favorite lately. Lemon is always a good standard for my kitchen. Lavender or serenity for my room.
3. Food. We all need a fridge with healthy food on the ready. I really think that fresh healthy food is a big part of me feeling happy and good. My problem is that it takes a lot of time and effort to do the planning, preparing, etc. Haha! But when that part is done, it feels great!
4. When my house is peaceful and clean
5. Hugs. When Elise went through a tough time in high school (just a breakup but those can be hard) we would go to her room and give her family hugs and it really does help. Once when Jared lost his job, Monet was just a few months old and I swear she was my cuddly therapy pretty much all day long.
What doesn't make me happy:
Sitting at my desk or in front of my computer. It sucks my energy. I feel a lack of progress, even though I use my computer for productive means, I don't feel good when I have to sit all day to get things done. I love to write/blog and read social media, but I don't love wasting time at my computer.