Sunday, November 06, 2011

Flu Prevention

When I was a kid, I remember being really excited that I threw up one day. I'd never remembered being sick before, and it was fun to get so much attention. I got to lay in bed and watch tv as much as I wanted, and I didn't even feel sick.

As I got older and started eating out and buying more of my own food, I definitely had a few bouts of illness. Once in Jr. High I probably had the flu but didn't know what to call it because I thought the flu was a 24 hour deal, not fever, chills, and a week of misery. The next time I got the flu was in 2003, right after I ran my first marathon, and the only year I've ever had a flu shot. Elise, Monet and I all had the shot and we all got the flu because that year it just wasn't effective. It was miserable. I do remember that I ate nachos every day for about a week before I got sick. I'm pretty sure that having a worn out body and not replenishing the nutrients I needed contributed.

I read a recent article on KSL the other day about how there is a genetic link to flu prevention. I thought the title was awfully misleading, but it was published by a Genetics journal, so maybe the title needed to reflect something genetic. Basically, 17 people were injected with the flu virus. Only half of those people actually got the flu. The other half did not. When comparing the blood of those who got the flu, and those who didn't, it was found that the ones who did not get it had high levels of antioxidants in their blood. I believe the title is misleading because the amount antioxidants in blood may vary slightly by genetics, but it is very heavily influenced by diet. We've experienced this firsthand in our family as we've had our antioxidants scanned numerous times and the numbers go up dramatically when we are eating more fruits and veggies. When I was little, my siblings and I ate tons of veggies and fruits, and I think our diets helped us keep strong immune systems so that we rarely got sick. My mom didn't even worry about taking us around other people who were sick because she knew we wouldn't get it.

This finding of antioxidants preventing flu corroborates what has been found by other scientists. WebMD also has done a piece on antioxidants and colds/flu as well. I've noticed that our family tends to get sick around the holidays. Which is when we are consuming the most junk, eating fewer fruits/veggies, etc.

So this year, we are going heavy on the antioxidant rich foods, lots of salads, green smoothies, oranges and pomegranates (my kids favorite treat). Last year I spent Christmas with a cold/ruptured ear drum. I was miserable. With being pregnant now, I am especially concerned with how awful it would be to spend the holidays sick once again and unable to take painkillers, so I'd like to boost my natural immunity.

Some great foods to boost antioxidants are listed in the WebMD article, and I'll copy them here:

Beta-carotene and other carotenoids: Apricots, asparagus, beets, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrots, corn, green peppers, kale, mangoes, turnip and collard greens, nectarines, peaches, pink grapefruit, pumpkin, squash, spinach, sweet potato, tangerines, tomatoes, and watermelon.

Vitamin C: Berries, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower, grapefruit, honeydew, kale, kiwi, mangoes, nectarines, orange, papaya, red, green or yellow peppers, snow peas, sweet potato, strawberries, and tomatoes.

Vitamin E: Broccoli, carrots, chard, mustard and turnip greens, mangoes, nuts, papaya, pumpkin, red peppers, spinach, and sunflower seeds.

What I liked most about this finding is that it empowers people to take charge of their own health by being proactive. It would be nice if everyone who was contagious just stayed home, but we know that we can't rely on that. And even flu shots, as I learned, are not all that effective. Fruits and veggies have far more lasting benefits than simply preventing illness.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/antioxidants-your-immune-system-super-foods-optimal-health

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20-common-foods-most-antioxidants

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091029125538.htm