Miles and I were having a little discussion this morning about polite terminology. I told him that it wasn't nice to say things like, "That's so gay," or "That's so retarded." I explained that those words mean different things than what the intent is when a kid says them, and they could hurt someone's feelings.
Then I reminded him of a previous conversation that we had about "little people" and how we don't say the word "midget" because it isn't the right word to use. He looked at me and said, "I saw a little person once, but I didn't know what to call him." I reassured him that he shouldn't call him anything, but just say "hi" and be nice and that is all he needed to do. Then he looked at me all serious and said, "Mom, midget people should be happy because a lot of people like them."
Sigh.